Thursday, December 17, 2009

Grad school

Well, people have read my work everywhere, magazines in school, college but never here.....but now with ample time to kill, blogging has got to me as well.

I always thought of writing something profound (blah!) but alas when you are sleepy, your brain will not work. These days, (well almost all the time actually), I am perenially sleepy.

I joined OSU a while ago, it was like a dream. Something that I had worked for many years....you know, like being a hot shot researcher (laugh laugh).

Graduate school...the very word on colourful university brochures, GRE guides and countless other spaces worth mentioning (some Not worth mentioning for the sake of pure sanity).. evokes different emotions for different people.


Here is my list of ten things that make up graduate school.

1. Your parties will have discussions on "what course are you teaching, who is the cutest undergrad, my adviser asked me, I have graded 50 answersheets etc"

2. There will be four things in your life a. Apartment b. Department c. Adviser d. Budweiser
I am onto the first three now.

3. The big award in grad school is not world cup, or any cup for that matter, its Candidacy. Having said that, I congratulate all people around me who passed thiers in recent times ( this was the first thing that I had heard, when I was here, coz I was in a household, which had not one but two folks preparing for thiers, be rest assured, they have passed, even with my presence in thier lives).

4. PHD comics is the best literature available

5. Wherever you see a line, a crowd of students, join in, cent percent, there is free food.

6. I am not sure, if you will graduate, but your cullinary skills shall greatly improve. First it will be out of compulsion , coz you shall be fed up of eating out, then it shall be to spare your taste buds of eating nonsense that you have made. With time you will learn and yes in my case, enjoy it as well.

7. You will be addicted to the internet. No matter what. Your laptop will become the sole source of entertainment.

8. You will watch bollywood movies, no matter how crappy they are.

9. Trips to grocery store will serve as additional entertainment.

10. You will be angry and jealous of people who get to go home every year.

2 comments:

  1. Swagata, I know what you mean. It's easy, however, to be a bit disillusioned with the pedantic rituals of graduate school. The first year really brings everyone down to the earth, if not a few feet below it. But I think the most important thing is your own research and intellectual development. Increasingly, I find that it's a constant struggle to find one's feet, pursue one's dreams, and do what you really want to do. But it can be done...despite the knowledge factory, which produces academics, not intellectuals!

    ReplyDelete
  2. gr8 post.......i absolutely love the ten things of grad school esp the 4 things (option 2)

    ReplyDelete