Thursday, December 17, 2009

Probashi bengali

Well, once I begin, I cant stop. Blame Grad school ( see post below) to get me addicted to writing again.

It was just three weeks here in Columbus, and I had the opportunity to go to a Durga Puja. When you are miles away from home, ocassions like this help you a lot. So enthusiastically, I tagged along. Sincere thanks to all seniors who oragnised the rides and all.

I decked up and then the series of shocks began for both parties. That is me (now referred as SD), and all the other bengalis, namely people from Calcutta (I am old fashioned, I like Calcutta as compared to Kolkata), from here on referred as CB.

With due respect to all people, CBs dont yet know probashis.
The first thing that a nice warm lady asked me was how could my Bangla diction be so correct.
Other questions through the course of the day and through the course of the next quarter ranged from "You actually eat fish?, Have you heard of Tagore or Ray?, Do you know streets of Kolkata?, Do you the rituals of poojas?" etc etc.

Well, I am flattered and and shocked at the same time. Thank you people for your compliments on my Bangla. But here are some things you should know about Probashi Bengalis. I shall vouch for the Delhi brigade, but also have high hopes from my Mumbai and Bengaluru counterparts.

So lets begin

1. All probashis can speak bangla, probably read and write as well (I am working on the latter). Thier diction is good too.

2. We are equally good at having a debate on "ghotis vs bangal"

3. Our Pujas rock. The dhaak, the bhog, the taal, the arati, the cultural programs, the sindoor khela are all there.

4. Our girls (and boys) can sing Rabindra Sangeet, sometimes better than Kolkata's generation Y, I am up for a dual anytime.

5. We do get some great fish here, and we can cook fish too. All the parts of the fish are eaten, the tail, the head and the bones

6. We too like gossip and adda, over phuchka and rolls which again are available over here.

7. We too live to eat sweets and everything (yes, everything) is available in this part of the country as well

8. We too love cricket and strikes. But sadly , Delhi doesnt have strikes. In Rome, do as the Romans do.

9. Weddings here are indeed a big affair, and the single most important thing in a wedding is the food, which at times is a bigger crowd puller than the bride and the groom.

10. Finally, most of us go to Calcutta atleast once a year, to shop for the best taangail saris, jute bags and meet near and dear ones. So we do know those streets.

7 comments:

  1. This makes for very nice reading! Can't resist sharing this nugget from my college days. There was this girl in my class, both parents Bangali, born and brought up in Calcutta, and yet um, she couldn't speak Bangla to save her life. So one day she asks me (in English): "Abhik, why do you keep changing your seat in class?"

    Now what was I supposed to say to that? Finally I say something like "Prithibi amare apon korechhe, bhulechhi nijer ghor" (which I'm pretty sure you know is a line from the song "Ami ek jajabor" by Bhupen Hazarika).

    So for a few seconds this lady looks very blankly at me, and then goes, "Oh, I love Tagore!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Guli dada...thanx!! how are u doing....I really need to catch up with u and avanthi!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to make a comment here. Swagata, I do understand how you feel when people show that they expected you to be NOT good at bengali language/culture/practices. But do realise, not all cities outisde West Bengal have a CR Park. We in Calcutta have seen a LOT of probashi bangalis, and unfortunately, hardly anyone is half as good as you are (wrt to the topics mentioned). All that you mentioned about probashi bangalis apply really well to people staying in CR Park. But believe me, thats really an exception. My request, please dont think CBs are being snobbish when they behave that way. We have seen this since childhood. The moment someone goes outside West Bengal.....that's it.....very soon they find Rabindrasangeet boring, Durga Puja "crazy festival made crazier with crowd and noise", and so on. It is true....

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Abhik. Ha ha ha ha!!! yeah, there are these creatures as well. Born and brought up in Calcutta, and Bengali the most alien of languages. Waiting eagerly (read dying) to know what she had to say to your reply....

    ReplyDelete
  5. After reading this Chito's comment my belief in CBs being extremely snobbish have grown stronger. The good for nothing CBs are just like pests and there activities has made WB as one of best and most progressive state(i am being sarcastic if some cbs fail to understand). Finally I pity SD as she feels sad for not being accepted in the bong groups and wants to associate with CBs despite being from a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Probashi,
    Just a correction,
    I never said, that they have not accepted me, in fact I was overwhelmed with thier love and warmth. But as Mark Twain said "East is east and west is west, the twain shall never meet"

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do not know how singing rabindrasangeet is related to making a state "progressive", but one thing is quite clear. I need to work on my communication skills. I did not intend any insult to anyone and/or any community(ies). I was trying to offer an explanation for the common notion that SD talks about in this post. Honestly, I would love to know that my explanation is totally wrong, and the reason lies somewhere else. But the fact remains that as far as MY experience goes (here I mean both the people I have personally met, or someone I know has met and shared his/her experience with me) a lot (and I do NOT mean all) Probashi Bangalis have certain traits. I am not saying this justifies CBs behaving the way they do, but this is the reason why they do so (if I am correct that is). And very honestly, not many people mean it as an insult. I mean.....if you have stayed in a place outside your hometown all your life, it is obvious that you MIGHT have the influence of that place in you.

    But looks like that all Bengalis, CBs or PBs (Probashi Bangali), have ONE common cultural trait that can NEVER be taken out of a Bengali. Its the ability to create a debate out of almost ANYTHING, however trivial it could be. Ghoti-Bangal (modified to East Bengal-Mohun Bagan), Ganga r ilish-Padma r ilish, Uttamkumar-Soumitro Chatterjee..........and now CB-PB :-)

    ReplyDelete